August 3, 2010

Amends to Akron



Since "The Decison" or "The LeBacle" as it's been called, LeBron James has been in the news for something new daily. I've seen him on the obvious places, like ESPN and Yahoo Sports. I've also seen him on some less expected places, like websites TMZ and Media Take Out. However, we have heard very little from the man himself.
Today, LeBron James took out a page in the Akron Beacon Journal. Flanked with pictures from his annual Bike-A-Thon, here is what he wrote:

"To My Family, Friends and Fans in Akron:

For all of my life, I have lived in Akron - and for that, I am truly a lucky man.

It was here where I first learned how to play basketball, and where I
met the people who would become my lifelong friends and mentors. Their guidance, encouragement and support will always be with me.

Akron is my home, and the central focus of my life. It's where I started, and it's where I will always come back to.

You can be sure that I will continue to do everything I can for this city, which is so important to my family and me. Thank you for your love and support. You mean everything to me.

LeBron"



I commend him for this letter. Sorta.

I spared myself from writing the millions of thoughts that have ran through my head since July 8th, 2010. I will say that "The Decision" was an egotistical, terrible PR move. I thought that a letter like this would come sooner. I hope that this helps him get SOME people on his side. I doubt it will, but at least he made some sort of an attempt.


The media has focused on the fact that he didn't post a similar letter in The Cleveland Plain Dealer for the Clevelanders. I didn't really get that out of this story. I think he seeks to make amends with Akron, not necessarily Cleveland Cavaliers fans in general. He isn't obligated to write anyone a letter, but at least he tried.


If I were him, I'd lay low for awhile. Next season is going to be a rough one for him, win or lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment